St Katharine is the Patron Saint of Teachers and Scholars
Katharine's School was established in 1916 by Mrs Ethel Fielding
as a privately owned school in a house in Rhodes Avenue, Parktown. She
had been trained at St Katharine's Teacher Training College in London,
and came out to the dusty mining town of Johannesburg to teach. She was
headmistress for 25 years.
1949, Mrs Fielding's niece, Mrs Patience Wilding, joined her aunt
and by the early sixties was running the school. In 1964, the school
ceased to be privately owned and became St Katharine's Trust
(Incorporated Association not for gain), run by a Board of Trustees.
Mrs Wilding retired at the end of 1974, Mrs Margaret Grainger
took over the reins.
succeeded Mrs Grainger as headmistress in 1989. In 1998 Mrs Rose
Antrobus became headmistress and she has recently been succeeded by
Mrs Mandy Mitchley.
Although the school buildings have grown considerably in the school's
life, the ethos and culture of the school remain true to Mrs Fielding's